Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blown Motor, coming back stronger

Super Werty

Reaction score
So you need 5 new pistons now?

I have to be honest, if it were me, I would call it quits and buy something else

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
You said you checked the ring gap for each bore so perhaps JE didnt do their homework and with all that fuel you had flowing through it doesn't help protect/lube things much....

I can see a tight fit and too much fuel romping all cylinders in short order like that.

Is there scoring anywhere else to indicate possible oiling issues or is it just the thrust surfaces of all the cylinders?

Do all pistons have pitting on them or just the one with the broken plug...?

If you plan to use these heads again make sure you inspect the valves closely - pop them out and make sure they are straight.

Skirt pictures please sugar lips!

This sucks man, im sure you just want to be driving your truck with out any BS.

Last edited:

Yallrun

Reaction score
Dam man, WTF? Like there were burs on the rings. Well you gotta be a pro at the 1GRFE tear down and rebuild by now.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm too stubborn to give up so easily. Giving up would say it is pointless to try and achieve something. Failure. Not happening.
The scars are only on the trust areas. Having the chance to look back over everything, it does look like the pistons have a bit more play in the cylinders than they should. Have to wait until Monday night to get them out.
I'm not using these heads again, as it isn't necessarry.
The passenger exhaust cam gear grooves between the teeth showed wear, due to chain tensioner failing.
Can't wait to see the pistons.
I tell you, I can damn near disassemble and re-assemble this motor in my sleep.

Only the piston that had the broken plug had knicks in it.

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I'm too stubborn to give up so easily. Giving up would say it is pointless to try and achieve something. Failure. Not happening.
The scars are only on the trust areas. Having the chance to look back over everything, it does look like the pistons have a bit more play in the cylinders than they should. Have to wait until Monday night to get them out.
I'm not using these heads again, as it isn't necessarry.
The passenger exhaust cam gear grooves between the teeth showed wear, due to chain tensioner failing.
Can't wait to see the pistons.
I tell you, I can damn near disassemble and re-assemble this motor in my sleep.

Only the piston that had the broken plug had knicks in it.

I know you were one of the first to run some internals, like DS said maybe someone didn't do their homework, or the install got botched. But is there really a way to tell or even prove that now? :dontknow:
Just makes me weary to use the same components. :hmmmm2:

motonxruchick184

Reaction score
I bet that had a significant role. Seeing that I had a vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator, which was making my fuel pressure spike. Very rich until the computer could compensate. By the way this is Torspd. Phone died.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I bet that had a significant role. Seeing that I had a vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator, which was making my fuel pressure spike. Very rich until the computer could compensate. By the way this is Torspd. Phone died.

Woh... dude... you and her are a thing? I didnt know that! :laugh:

Yeah dude hooking it up to the regulator isnt a very good idea.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Woh... dude... you and her are a thing? I didnt know that! :laugh:

Yeah dude hooking it up to the regulator isnt a very good idea.
You know, it certainly seems that way.....and I thought I had long distance relationships once upon a time, my 300 mile booty calls aint got shit on that if its true LOL....:laugh:

Murderface

Reaction score
I used to drive from Langley AFB in Hampton Va to Collingswood NJ EVERY weekend for my booty! 272 one way:top: No job was ever left incomplete so the ride was worth it

So what's the verdict on the piston skirts?

motonxruchick184

Reaction score
Wait... Booty what?! Back to topic, you guys are lookin too much into things.. Btw this is brit again lol

Venomous_X

Reaction score
LOL, naw doug said something silly and the rest of us rolled with it.....:laugh:

ntinhri

Reaction score
I just want to thank you for sharing this info! I feel like reading this I could know what to look for and what to watch out for.. Thanks again!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So here is an update. I finished getting the rods and pistons out last night. My camera's battery was dead, so I'll get a pic up of the pistons tonight. The rod bearings were all perfect, which is a good sign. The piston skirts definitely had some nice grooves. I at this point attribute it an oiling issue. Which issue caused it....it was probably a combination.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
So here is an update. I finished getting the rods and pistons out last night. My camera's battery was dead, so I'll get a pic up of the pistons tonight. The rod bearings were all perfect, which is a good sign. The piston skirts definitely had some nice grooves. I at this point attribute it an oiling issue. Which issue caused it....it was probably a combination.

mmmmm...

566971167_1a89f4a8ef.jpg

I love it when you talk motor mark, you popped her cause she was too wet you dirty boy.

Murderface

Reaction score
From the words of the famous Ladies Man on SNL" Yeah Thats Disgusting"

Top Bottom