Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MPG improving mods?

Brave777

Reaction score
So my question is; are there mods we can implement to the XR that IMRPOVE mpg? Like a chip that we can toggle between an HP reflash and an MPG setting? I searched but didn't see any posts. I don't want a XR-Prius, I want to get better MPG until I want the HP and torque. So no on smaller injectors. I've heard you guys saying that driving under easy throttle with a S/C has improved MPG. What else is out there? Products? Ideas? Experience?

Gadget

Reaction score
Pretty much everything URD markets to increase performance will also increase MPG provided you drive it the same as you do now.

A great starting place would be the UCON.

G

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Gadget pretty much has you covered, there is no traditional plug and play tuner, it really comes down to adding parts that make power more efficient and then drive like your grandpa. Although as soon as you start throwing parts at it really is hard to keep you foot out of the floor board. Check out URD website!

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
for me i got an average of 30 miles more per tank after i did an intake and full catless exhaust and a good bit of power to go along with it

rennurx

Reaction score
I gained one mpg. 16.2 to 17. when I went turbo. would probably be more if I stayed off the throttle lol

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
All depends on gear selection and your right foot! :top:

madtrucker

Reaction score
If you can drive easy on the throttle with an S/C you definitely have more will power than I do. I'd cut back on the driving if that's an option. Consolidate trips.

Brave777

Reaction score
Pretty much everything URD markets to increase performance will also increase MPG provided you drive it the same as you do now.

A great starting place would be the UCON.

G

Hmm interesting and good point. Even more of a reason to mod now ;)

McDingalings

Reaction score
Seems like the URD intake and exhaust combo does the trick. Have you thought about sticking to weight reduction before purchasing parts? You could always replace the spare with a fix a flat to shave off some weight. But then you would end up with the tire light constantly on your dash :laugh:

You could also run your truck with half a gas tank more often rather than topping it off full at the gas station. I do that because gas here in Hawaii is crazy, even at your friendly Costco. I figure less weight means less load = less power needed to move the truck. Just a theory. Hope this opens some new ideas.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
You could always push the truck around you can get as miles to the gallon as you can walk or run depending on how you feel that day, nothing like man power :laugh:

lamia2super

Reaction score
Seems like the URD intake and exhaust combo does the trick. Have you thought about sticking to weight reduction before purchasing parts? You could always replace the spare with a fix a flat to shave off some weight. But then you would end up with the tire light constantly on your dash :laugh:

You could also run your truck with half a gas tank more often rather than topping it off full at the gas station. I do that because gas here in Hawaii is crazy, even at your friendly Costco. I figure less weight means less load = less power needed to move the truck. Just a theory. Hope this opens some new ideas.

full tank of gas is what 175lbs? might as well get on diet and lose weight. your have to remove like ~160lbs of weight from the truck to gain 1mpg. so start shedding weight were you can ! also look at aerodynamics i think you can probably gain a another 2mpg by covering up the undercarriage like most german cars do. drive with the cruise control on, don't step on it, clean filter, good oil, etc all help.

add propane, or go hybrid like the P1 maclarren

or call up ev west and convert your truck to full electric ! can anyone say 1000ftlb torque xrunner? they have complete kits for ford rangers around 5-6k

McDingalings

Reaction score
You could always push the truck around you can get as miles to the gallon as you can walk or run depending on how you feel that day, nothing like man power :laugh:

Still that would cost you a hefty breakfast and protein bars before acceleration. That cost more than a gallon worth of gas itself :laugh:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Still that would cost you a hefty breakfast and protein bars before acceleration. That cost more than a gallon worth of gas itself :laugh:

Just skip breakfast and call it a weight loss diet :rofl:

Tanaka

Reaction score
Weird. I average 20mpg. Intake manifold spacer, k&n air filter, new muffler to dump off, royal purple oil, 255/45/18 Hercules tires filled with nitrogen (I think...I dont have my truck atm), 2" drop. Thats a mix of normal freeway driving, revving at people, speeding every now and then.

kharrar

Reaction score
When I want to get 30+ MPG I drive my 4 cylinder 2006 Tacoma, it has efan, LCE equal length header, Magnaflow exhaust, 40psi in the tires, synthetic everywhere and AFE intake.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I run a URD Y pipe and a stock exhaust with a 18'' glasspack in place of the stock muffler and a K&N intake and I average 19 mpg. I get 17city 21highway

X_Stunner

Reaction score
Was this followed by any type of tune? I'd like to go the same route but am afraid of actually losing power/mpg without an actual tune afterwards.

X_Stunner

Reaction score
Lmao @ the "revving at people". Please tell me you're not THAT guy Tanaka

Top Bottom