Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD Pads Squeaking

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I made a post here with a brief review of my new setup:

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=38931

Now that I've had em on for a couple months they've developed a squeak -- just as I'm coming to a stop -- maybe the last 20 feet or so. It sounds like it's only coming from the driver side. They don't squeak all the time. I'm wondering if it's just because the rotors are so cold. My drive to work is only 8 minutes so on a day-to-day basis they don't even get warm. If I do repeated tests, trying to find more about the problem, they stop squeaking.

Just curious if any other guys running the TRD + BrakePerformance.com combo have any squeaking. Is it just the nature of the ceramic pads?

BlackCat

Reaction score
When you installed them, did you use any anti-squeal compound on the backside of the pads ? It's not necessarily unusual for high-performance pads to develop a squeak or squeal, just one of the mysteries of life and drawbacks of a high "mu" braking compound typical in high performance pads.

The EBC Yellow pads that I put on my BBK came with a fibre-backed adhesive pad that I had to stick on the backsides of the pads for that exact reason. I ran them without the adhesive pads just to see and they squealed like a pig at the butcher's no matter how light or heavy I braked ... then I put the anti-squeal pads on and they still squealed under light to moderate braking but much, much less so than before.

A former coworker of mine who use to work for a brake compound manufacturer and worked as a contractor at the old General Motors Proving Grounds in Phoenix (before they sold it) noted that high performance brake compounds are typically beset by squealing problems and that brake manufacturers try a wide variety of things from cutting lateral and longitudinal grooves to try and cut standing waves in the pad, adding flexible backing to the pads to dampen vibrations among other things to try and cut down on noise ... but sometimes they just can't get rid of it all without compromising the whole point of the pads ... braking performance.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
You're fine. They will squeak. Thats pretty standard for performance brake pads. It will go away. It's irritating sometimes, and I know people look at you when they hear it, but it's normal. If it continues to squeak for a loooonnnng period of time. Then check them. They might be wearing unevenly. If that's the case, then it's probably worn down to the censors. Then you're looking at buying all new rotors and pads.

But give it time, it will go away if it's normal wear.

To answer the question...yes, I've had this issue before. Haha!

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
^ Thanks guys. To answer the first question, yes I did lube up the brackets but didn't put anything on the backs of the pads. I figured since it only occurred under moderate braking, at lower speeds that it was probably just the nature of the beast. If something were installed correctly (which is kinda hard to do IMO), they would likely squeak all the time.

Thanks BC and Mort. I guess I'll just have to turn the music up louder. :D

SooRunner

Reaction score
Mine squeaks at light stop. I've heard that is normal for race brakes. My friends twin turbo Porsche brakes squeaks also and it is factory. It might be the type of pads you use.

Also does your brake pad dust like a mofo? There is no point in cleaning my wheels cuz right after it will be all dusted with brake dust.

Scarface

Reaction score
Tried the hard stop... Didn't warn the gf... I now have a cracked windshield + angry gf and on top of all that , my brakes still squeak...

Scarface

Reaction score
Terrible squeel... im going to take them off this weekend and check em.

Slay0r

Reaction score
are the trd pads inthe BBK the same pad/material they use for the regular stock caliper pads?

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes - mine are still squeaking under slow/easy stop. Annoying as hell but I like knowing that I have some brakes with balls when I need em so it's a worthy trade.

Slay0r

Reaction score
hmmm...may have to reconsider the EBC yellow stuffs

Grumpy

Reaction score
It is recommended that when you install new set of pads that you add a lit bit of brake grease to all of the contact point. Not to over emphasize but ALL the contact point, except for the face of the pad where it contact the rotor....for obvious reason. The backside of the pad, taps at the end of the pad that ride against the stainless spring clip, stainless spring clip. Make sure you clean them first though, green scratch pad and little bit of brake cleaner will do the trick.

I'm on my 2nd set of TRD pads, first one lasted 60k miles. Second set is pair up with slot & dimple rotors.

Slay0r

Reaction score
hrmmm, im still on the fence for the TRD pads or the EBC yellow stuffs. Should i even consider hawk's ceramics?

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Prolly just the performance pads, see if it goes away after a lil while. If it continues and pads are still new can sand them on a flat surface with sandpaper flat on table, then recut the rotors. We use to do this at a dealer i worked for and it worked on non-performance pads. As far as if it gets to the inicators if the groove is too deep the rotors need to be replaced, but they can sometimes cut the groove out but make sure the rotor is in factory minimun specs before reuse of the rotor.

Slay0r

Reaction score
I know its the performance pads, but im not goin to pay 90+ dollars on performance pads when it sounds like a 97 neon screaching down the road.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Even with the adhesive isolator pad and the backsides of the pads (over and above the adhesive isolators) thoroughly greased to kingdom-come, my EBC yellows are still squealing. It's just the nature of the beast.

Scarface

Reaction score
So the brake guys i talked to said the same thing basically... Grease all of the contact points on your pad, they poked their led lights in there and said wow, these things are brand new... so they just recommended i take the rim off disassemble the caliper and hit it all up with grease and dont be overzealeous is what he said. I'll do this on the weekend and tell you all whats good. i'm running a trd bbk btw.

Top Bottom