Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

x-1 3rd hour review

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
gadget understand this program better than scott..

yes watch my video you mash the gas and pop the clutch.. I need a trac bar bad now.. the launch control is fully adjustable too.. its sweet..
you already have it too?

Gadget

Reaction score
I will have to say that getting ntinhri’s truck dialed in has been a long hard process. A good while ago I met him at a meet in Maryland and put a wideband on his truck to check what his AFRs were. The TRD Superchargers had just come out and I think his was the second one I tested.

His truck ran super lean in boost. How this truck did not blow up is beyond me. So, it became a long term project truck to get this thing running correctly.

The first attempt to tune it was a failure. I simply could not get it to richen up sufficiently. I tuned it with a MAP-ECU2 and it would tune to a point then just be stupid lean.

I rigged up a 7th injector system similar to what we used on the URD Supercharger kit and installed it. Started with a 440cc injector. No change. Moved to a 750cc injector. No change. Dropped in a 1000cc unit and basically made no difference. It was clear the fuel pump was not getting enough fuel to the engine to properly fuel it.

By this time my 3rd OEM, pump assembly was starting to get another plugged up fuel filter so it was clearly time to solve this pump filter problem. I ripped into my fuel tank and figured out how to get a high flow pump in there and switch it from a tiny in the tank filter it a large external fuel filter that would not plug up on my every 30,000 miles. It worked and I made a second kit for ntinhri’s truck and sent it off to him.

After the pump was installed it had plenty of fuel and we removed the 7th injector from the truck and retuned it with the MAP-ECU2.

His truck had a real bad lean out problem right as it was eased into boost. I was able to cure that through tuning and the midrange really came alive. However it would stop responding to MAF sensor value changes past a certain load point and high load tuning was ineffective. This was the 3rd truck that I played with that had the TRD reflash that basically stopped looking at the MAF sensor at a certain point and was untenable past there. However; with a couple little tricks of mine, I was able to add just enough fuel to get a proper fuel mixture in that last lean area.

Now his truck was running very strong, and now finally had a safe AFR, but,,,

Ntinhri was the lucky winner of the X-1 that URD gave away at XFest.

URD was involved very early on in the X-1 development back in early 2005 and finally it is released. It is no secret now that we are going to use it with our new high power supercharger system and have been working very hard on identifying areas where it can be improved. It was a wonderful controller when it came out and gets better all the time. I have been working with Scott from APR, testing and retesting many new features and changes in the control logic. The latest update was completed at midnight Sunday and I loaded it into his X-1 after it was installed.

The new update worked flawlessly in his truck. Make no mistake, for a TRD truck it runs pretty damn good and strong. The fuel control is spot on under all conditions.

I am sure some of you are wondering what is so different about the X-1 as opposed to other tuning products out there. The most important feature is the way it controls the fuel.

The X-1 drives the injectors and igniter coils directly. Below a certain point it will follow what the stock ECU is doing, but after a point it will take full control and run the engine directly. While it is driving the engine directly it will feed back signals to the ECU to make it think it is still running the engine to keep it happy. So it is essentially a standalone EMS that keeps the stock ECU happy.

It will self adjust its self to get to and keep the AFR at the programmed AFR. It does this using feedback from the two front air/fuel ratio sensors in the exhaust manifolds. This way it is always spot on and it will not change with the weather, altitude or other ambient conditions.

If it cannot keep the AFR where it is supposed to be by more than a certain amount for a given time, it will engage the engine guardian feature to alert you something is wrong. It does this by turning on the check engine light steady. It can also radically lower the rev limit to give you a clue and get your attension. If you have a turbo it can pop the waste gate to cut boost. The guardian will also lower the rev limit if it overheats. The ability to derate the power can save the expensive engine if something very simple happen like your fuel filter plugs up. A simple thing like that can be very expensive on a boosted engine if you don’t know it.

One of the features that I really love is the logic in the fuel control FIXES THAT JERKY 1st to 2ND GEAR SHIFT!!!!

For those of you considering getting the TRD Supercharger, I would recommend that you do not get the ECU reflash. Just get the X-1 and the engine will run wonderfully. Remember, once you flash the ECU you cannot go back. With the X-1 instead you can remove the supercharger and X-1 down the road if you sell, trade, or crash your truck and sell it separately and recover more of your money.

If you did get the reflash, don’t worry, the X-1 overides the buggy reflash.

Those of you with a normally aspirated truck, there is a great program for you as well.

If you have a URD Supercharger system we will have a program for you very soon if you want to upgrade.

Just to give you a little teaser of things to come, I have gotten some serious power out of my own XRunner lately. Even more than the published dyno chart that showed 402 RWHP.

There was a recent price increase on the X-1 kit by $200 to $1495. URD still has a few kits in stock at the old price. If you are interested in getting one and save a little money, act fast. With our next stocking order we will likely be raising the price.

If you have any specific questions about the X-1 please let me know.

Gadget

blastap

Reaction score
ok so if i go with a "test pipe" will i still need to get the o2 sims or does my apr unit not bothered by the free flowing pipe

Gadget

Reaction score
I can answer that, but you need to contact me directly for that answer.

Gadget

ABP

Reaction score
gadget understand this program better than scott..

Gadget is a great guy and knows his stuff very well. He does not however know the programming side of the X-1 better than Scott. Scott designed the X-1 software. There is a lot more that the X-1 can do then what we are using. It is just a matter of time before they release more options.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Gadget is a great guy and knows his stuff very well. He does not however know the programming side of the X-1 better than Scott. Scott designed the X-1 software. There is a lot more that the X-1 can do then what we are using. It is just a matter of time before they release more options.

As with any software product, that is the typical relationship between a designer/developer and a tester/user who, through feedback also becomes a co-developer of sorts.

The developer typically knows what it does and the tester/customer knows what it is *supposed* to do for a particular application... Unfortunately, the two are rarely (if ever) exactly the same.

To say either of the two know the product better, it depends on what perspective you're talking about. It appears to me that Gadget is the "superuser".

ABP

Reaction score
As with any software product, that is the typical relationship between a designer/developer and a tester/user who, through feedback also becomes a co-developer of sorts.

The developer typically knows what it does and the tester/customer knows what it is *supposed* to do for a particular application... Unfortunately, the two are rarely (if ever) exactly the same.

To say either of the two know the product better, it depends on what perspective you're talking about. It appears to me that Gadget is the "superuser".

I understand where you are coming from. Most of the people on this board don't personally know Scott. He has a ton of tuning experiance. So he is not just a "product designer" he comes from an exstensive tuning back ground. Either way people go Gadget or Scott they can rest knowing they are getting the best tuning for their ride.

emo_X

Reaction score
Scott at APR is the mastermind behind the X-1 he is a celebrity in the tuning profession. I am happy to have shaken his hand and looked at some of the programming work behind the scenes with the X-1. From what I here he charges $3oo per hour to tune. :top:

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
Great read Gadget!! I like to think that I learn something new everytime I talk to you or read one of your posts.

You and URD are amazing! Not to many companies go through all the trouble to make their customers happy.

Ntinhri was the lucky winner of the X-1 that URD gave away at XFest.
Gadget

I call BS on this....:biggrin:

Even though Jim's wife handed out the prizes, Steve basically mugged her to get it. :ahhhhh::laugh:

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score

while scott might be the master mind, I would tell you that gadget is getting the power to the street without the issues.. that all I'll say.. I have never met scott and it wasnt said as a personal attack, I was just simply stating gadget understands that program (which is alot of crap youll never use) and brings it to realitiy.. that all

bottom line is the x-1 bad as! the gears really help is go though

Gadget

Reaction score
I don't know anything about writing code. I just know when it works right or not.

Scott is the best code writer and engine control hardware designer I know.

Gadget

blastap

Reaction score
aprpower.com will tell you the main features but a call to gadget or apr will seal the deal for yah

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
i have it the tuner just not aware of the launch control

site told me nothing i didn't know

Last edited:

blastap

Reaction score
your mod list does not say x-1 so i had no idea, i would email scott at apr and let him email you the launch control to put on your apr flash so you can try it before you upload it permanantly

Gadget

Reaction score
Send me an email to Support@URDUSA.com and I can email you back a file you can place on your thumb drive. When you plug your thumb drive in it will turn on the launch control.

Be sure to tell me if you have a supercharger or not and if you do, if you have the TRD reflash or not.

Gadget

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for customer service :biggrin:

Top Bottom