Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T56 Swap clarification

thechief21040

Reaction score
I keep reading on here about people doing a t56 transmission swap and was wondering what all is involved for the swap, how reliable it is and if it feels better then the shitty transmission we have now.
Truck is coming up on 120k miles and not sure how long these transmissions are really good for plus a change would be nice.

stepdaddy

Reaction score
Im sure the t56 feels better than this tranny....you have an extra coupe?

madtrucker

Reaction score
I'm curious too. I would love to be able to grab gears in a hurry.

Coupe

Reaction score
Im sure the t56 feels better than this tranny....you have an extra coupe?

I don't have an extra, but I was going to give him a ride if he was in the area.

I think I had the second T56 swap done and I have been very happy the results. The transmission is no longer the weak link in the drivetrain.

STONER-X

Reaction score
There is a reason the t56 is used in high hp cars..

Tanaka

Reaction score
I want to have this done too. My transmission is giving out at 160k. What is needed to be done? Bell housing, mounts, wire/sensors, adapters, etc? I dont want to pay $2k for another rebuilt/warrantied X transmission is I dont have to.

stepdaddy

Reaction score
I don't have an extra, but I was going to give him a ride if he was in the area.

I think I had the second T56 swap done and I have been very happy the results. The transmission is no longer the weak link in the drivetrain.

What part of houston are you in? how long did your swap take?

Coupe

Reaction score
What part of houston are you in? how long did your swap take?

I am in NW Houston, Highway 6 & FM 529.

I did not do the swap myself, I had it done.

I would imagine two weekends, if I would have done it.

Coupe

Reaction score
I want to have this done too. My transmission is giving out at 160k. What is needed to be done? Bell housing, mounts, wire/sensors, adapters, etc? I dont want to pay $2k for another rebuilt/warrantied X transmission is I dont have to.

Bell housing
clutch plate
throw-out bearing
hose adapters for hyd clutch
cross member for transmission
transmission
shifter
drive shaft needs to be shortened
rear end need to be regeared

Reaction score
For us, there are two kinds of T56, one is the T56 and I think the other one is a T56 Magnum, better known as the Tremec. Then there are two companies that I know of that sell them. Two companies sell them, Gadget (of course) and APR Racing. BTW, Gadget isn't making them, yet, but it appears as though he will start making them, with some upgrades or impovements over APR'S kit. The T56 is the lower priced transmission, and the Tremec is the upgrade. I don't know if APR racing has any more kits but I think Gadget of URD is going to start selling them. I would buy one if I had the money, everybody says good things about them. So far, I think just David sells them of APR but I don't know he has any left, and sometimes he might have one but not want to sell it. I would check with TORSPD. He seems to be really knowledgeable, and my facts might be a little off. I don't post on here, much, and I am too poor to have any upgrades on my X-Runner. My facts might even be off.

Last edited:

Edgeman

Reaction score
Although Borg-Warner initially developed the T-56, Tremec has manufactured T-56 transmissions since 1998. They've since evolved into the T-56 Magnum & Magnum XL which have higher torque ratings.

madtrucker

Reaction score
I noticed they come with 2 different set of gear ratios. Which 1 would be better for us? I wonder.

Coupe

Reaction score
I have a T56 Magnum with the following ratios:

2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, 0.74, 0.50

I have a 4:10 rear gear.

I am happy with the set up.

Bang Bang

Reaction score
T56

Anyone in the GA, FL area with one of these installed. Id like to drive it and take a ride

thechief21040

Reaction score
Interesting yeah I hope gadget does put a swap kit together cause probably 30k more im gonna need a new tranny and why not go bigger and better.

Thanks for the offer to take me for a ride im in the SE north Carolina area though unfortunately I don't think there are many x fans over here what shop did you get to do the swap? And if you don't mind me asking about how much did it run ya?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
APR was the company who did the original design and production. They are also who did Coupe's installation.

There are a few T56 threads, as well as a T56 "sticky" thread in the F/I section. Has all of the parts listed, incase replacement parts are necessary. :top:

I have pictures of what I had to do to the transmission tunnel, in my build thread as well.

Top Bottom