Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: NST Crank Pulley Install

Grumpy

Reaction score
This is my first write up so bear with me if it doesn't meet your expectation. Pics to follow, Photobucket is not working for me at the moment. Will add pics when permitted.

Edit: Pics added. My Photobucket is still out, so ImageShack it is.
Edit: Photobucket pics and pulley holder tools added, 11/16/'08

Tools needed;

Lift, ramps or floor jack & jack stands
two 8mm x 1.25 bolt, 2"+ long
3/8" drive ratchet + 14mm deep socket
1/2" drive breaker bar +22mm socket
1/2" drive Torque wrench capable of 200 lbs/ft.
Wrenching buddy is recommended but not necessary

First, front end need to be picked up as installation will be coming up from the bottom. Lift or ramps are recommended. If service jack is use, minimum of 2 jack stand are needed.

The accessories belt has to come off. Use 14mm socket and rotate the tensioner pulley counterclockwise to relieve the tension. This is the pulley between water pump/ radiator fan and AC compressor. Belt should come right out. Pay close attention of the belt routing.

Install two 8mm x 1.25 bolt into threaded holes on the pulley. They need to be around 2"+ long in order to work properly. Turn them all the way in, through the pulley, 'til it made contact with engine block. Then tighten them a little bit more until its snug, about 1/2 - 3/4 turn, this will serve as a pulley holder when removing the crank bolt.

Use 22mm on 1/2" drive breaker bar, and put some muscle into it. Remember lefty loosey.

After the crank pulley is out, continue tightening the two 8mm bolts. This will push against engine block thus pushing out the stock crank pulley. Pay close attention of where the key way is on the pulley.

Wipe off any dirt or oil residue on the seal, and apply some fresh motor oil to help ease installation of the pulley. Work the pulley in by hand as far as it will go, making sure the belt is not in the way.

Apply some locktite and reinstall the crank pulley bolt using ratchet. Tighten until the pulley is seated. At this point, you can only tighten so much until the crankshaft start to turn. Reinstall two 8mm bolts to hold the pulley and use torque wrench to do the final tighten. Set torque wrench to 185 lbs/ft.

CIMG0826.jpg

Rotate the tensioner and reinstalled accessories belt. Double check to make sure that the belt is routed correctly and properly aligned with all pulleys.

Here is the pulley holder tool. Its notch to clear A/C compressor, but you can go without. Let it brace against side rails while loosening or tightening the crank pulley bolt.

102_1732.jpg

102_1733.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for injury due to negligence, improper use of tools, and destruction of property. This instruction is to be use only as a guide. Use your best judgement when making decision. Legal mumble jumble blah blah blah. Also not responsible for improve throttle response, increase acceleration, and any horsepower gain during this installation. Have fun and happy modding.:top:

Speicial Thanks to Torspd (Mark) for taking these great pics, Mike from NST for coming out to lend a hand and trouble shoot, and the H-town crew for helping out. 4 pulleys were installed that day.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
I would not thread the bolts through the pulley until they made contact with the oil pump/timing chain cover. That is thin cast aluminum and you could easily damage it.

Also, if you end up bending the bolts you will not be able to get them back out when you retorque the bolt for the new pulley.

There is only one way to do this right, with a proper pulley holding tool of some kind.

Gadget

Coupe

Reaction score
I would not thread the bolts through the pulley until they made contact with the oil pump/timing chain cover. That is thin cast aluminum and you could easily damage it.

Also, if you end up bending the bolts you will not be able to get them back out when you retorque the bolt for the new pulley.

There is only one way to do this right, with a proper pulley holding tool of some kind.

Gadget

What does this look like? I have never seen a pulley holding fixture/tool?

DGXR

Reaction score
An aluminum or steel bar pre drilled to match the holes in the pulley along with an access whole to untorque the crank bolt could be used to mount to the pulley so that it would keep it from turning. Just make sure that it is against something solid so as to not damage anything.

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
One member at the DC meet this weekend tried 2 pulleys, neither would go over the crank.

One other member spent quit a bit of time w/ other guys getting his on.

From what I understand the anodizing makes the crank hole small on the pulley. :thumpdown:

Coupe

Reaction score
An aluminum or steel bar pre drilled to match the holes in the pulley along with an access whole to untorque the crank bolt could be used to mount to the pulley so that it would keep it from turning. Just make sure that it is against something solid so as to not damage anything.

Got it! Thanks

DGXR

Reaction score
Got it! Thanks

Don't thank me, thank Mike at NST for that piece of info. Damn good idea. Too bad we were already on the 4th pulley swap when that info. was given.

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, nice job!..... :top:

Coupe

Reaction score
Don't thank me, thank Mike at NST for that piece of info. Damn good idea. Too bad we were already on the 4th pulley swap when that info. was given.

Thanks Mike!

NonStopTuning

Reaction score
Thank you for the guide Grumpy, I appreciate it. And thank you for the kind words guys :biggrin:

All this thread needs now are some pics!!!

:top::top:

I would strongly suggest using this method, IF you do not have access to some SERIOUS power tools.

Last edited:

absolut

Reaction score
ok so what's the correct torque spec? I've seen people post up 200lb - 2008lbs and now 185lbs. So whos is correct?

That is a good question, I would like to know too.

blazinx

Reaction score
we called the guy dreamaker and thats what he said the specs are he works at toyota

Dallas

Reaction score
If I were installing the pulley I would put it in the oven and heat it up to about 140 degrees, and that baby would slide right on! you would be amazed at how much a few degrees will expand aluminum. Back in high school shop class they had a demonstration that had a round aluminum ball and an aluminum ring, at room temp the ball will not go thru the ring. but just by holding the ring in your hand and getting it to 90 degrees the ball would go right thru with room to spare.

rossboi

Reaction score
i just sanded the pulley and used some oil for lube. Once i got the pulley on the crank a little bit i made sure the keyway was lined up and used the bolt to draw the pulley in. Helps to have 2 people, 1 to watch the keyway and the other to tighten the bolt. Just make sure you tighten the bolt very slowly and stop if you feel any binding.

NonStopTuning

Reaction score
ok so what's the correct torque spec? I've seen people post up 200lb - 2008lbs and now 185lbs. So whos is correct?

N/A spec is about 185. TRD SC spec is about 200.

Realistically, anything in this range should be ok for the Xrunner.

2008 is definitely too much!!!!!!

lenie03

Reaction score
opps my bad i put too many zeros in that one, but thanks for the info.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Pics and a few other things added.:top:

Sykotic336

Reaction score
N/A spec is about 185. TRD SC spec is about 200.

Realistically, anything in this range should be ok for the Xrunner.

2008 is definitely too much!!!!!!

sorry this made me giggle lol... i want one so bad but no money and too afraid to even attempt this........

ntinhri

Reaction score
pissed.. changing my oil the crank pulley temped me again...............................

the trucks about 10" off the ground and the wheels are chaulked..

Well after using a breaker bar and a 2 or so foot extention.. nothing.. Im not some lil pus, but darn if I can break loose that freaking bolt..

On the trd s/c the nut size is 15/16's, the 24 mm will fit but the 15/16" has way less play.. heres a pic of what im tugging on.....
image-3.jpg

Top Bottom